David Yerushalmi began his public anti-Muslim activism in 2006, with the founding of the think tank, Society of Americans for National Existence.
In 2007, SANE proposed a policy which urged Congress to declare war on the “Muslim Nation,” which it defined as “all Muslims.”The policy advocated to make the practice of Islam in America a felony punishable by 20 years in prison, and also also called for all non-citizen Muslims to be declared “Alien Enemies” and be deported immediately.
In 2008 it launched a project called, “Mapping Sharia in America” of which David Gaubatz, a known anti-Islam activist, served as the Direction of Operations. It attempted to infiltrate American mosques in order to expose radical elements.
In May 2011, Yerushalmi co-authored a report on “Sharia and Violence in American Mosques” which was published on the website of Daniel Pipes’ Middle East Forum. It used the length of a Muslim prayer leader’s beard and his choice of which arm to wear his watch on as indicators of immanent violent extremism.
Writing on the Southern Poverty Law Center’s blog, Robert Steinbeck said this about the study:
“A new ‘study’ co-authored by a man who staunchly believes America’s mosques are incubators of violent jihad has determined — surprise, surprise! — that America’s mosques are incubators of violent jihad. The report, entitled “Shari’a and Violence in American Mosques” and published last week by the anti-Muslim website Middle East Forum, dons a shawl of academic respectability — but even a cursory review of its logic and methodology reveals it as a blatant exercise in propaganda.”
- “The Mythical ‘moderate’ Muslim … the Muslim who embraces traditional Islam but wants a peaceful coexistence with the West, is effectively non-existent.” In Middle East Quarterly, 2011.
“Our greatest enemy today is Islam. The only Islam appearing in any formal way around the world is one that seeks a world Caliphate through murder, terror and fear.” In The American Spectator, 2006.
- “The point about Islam is it produces Muslims according to teachings of domination, men with many wives, and families with traditions of war and violence all within a vision of life, Islam, that praises war and a world state…Muslim civilization is at war with Judeo-Christian civilization.” “The Muslim peoples, those committed to Islam as we know it today, are our enemies.” In The American Spectator, 2006.
- “Islam seeks our destruction.” “Islam is quite another thing. Here you have the world’s second largest religion, which has never had a peaceful existence unless it was itself conquered and subjugated or it had acquired an empire to rule over tyrannically where non-Muslims existed as subjugated infidels. In Islam you have one billion Muslims acting as a reservoir with the pumps of Jihad and the hatred of the West operating quite efficiently.” In the Free Republic, 2006.
- “We must be prepared to fight a full-scale war against all nations and people who advocate, accommodate, or acquiesce to the Islamic world view. If we take the position, hardly supported by reality, that we cannot win the war against the Muslim Umma, then we have given up before the fact. We will never defeat “radical Islam” without defeating Islam itself because they are one and the same.” In the Free Republic, 2006.
- “There are of course those conservatives who recognize that Islam is not a “religion” in the Western tradition but rather a license to murder by the wretched of the world.” IntellectualConservative.com, 2006.
- We will never defeat ‘radical Islam’ without defeating Islam itself because they are one and the same.” IntellectualConservative.com, 2006.